Friday, December 4, 2009

Like a Rolling Stone...

Actually it's nothing like a rolling stone...more like very, very flat stone. Regardless, the granite and slate countertops are being installed today! Here are some preliminary photos that were taken early this morning when the truck arrived and they put the pieces in place. They still need to be secured and have the backsplashes put on, but it already looks SO good. We spent so long trying to pick out the countertops and I am very happy with the result. Ryan and I were giddy when we saw them.

This is Jan's kitchen. The photo doesn't do it justice. The light coming through the window and the reflection off the countertop made it hard to get a good picture. It is stunning in person though! It perfectly compliments the wall color and the cabinets. She hasn't seen it yet and I can't wait to see the expression on her face when she does! It is BEAUTIFUL!


This is our kitchen. We LOVE it! It is a honed granite, called Nordic Black, and it looks a lot like soapstone. It is absolutely perfect in the kitchen and is exactly what I pictured in my head. It feels like butter under your hands and is just really simple and beautiful!


This picture does not do it justice...the backsplash still needs to be installed.


Here is a close up of the counter. It has these flecks that fit together like puzzle pieces and white veining. It makes it look like a heathered charcoal color. Can you tell I am mesmerized by this countertop?!!


Here is Brody's bathroom. We went with a really native looking piece of granite in here with lots of garnet flecks that reminds me of my Grammy Janet every time I see it!


Close up of Bro's bathroom - see the little red garnets! I love them!


Once the trim is up this bathroom will be done (well almost done, the plumbers still need to hook up the water!) Ryan and I installed the tile earlier in the week. I think we did a pretty good job!


Closer look at our tiling job!


This is the master bath vanity. It is a clefted slate (I think that's what they call it). The slate is basically sheared off of itself and you are left with a natural texture. It is (yep, I'm gonna say it again) BEAUTIFUL!


Here is the tile in the master bath. We were told that it is a honed marble, but then our neighbor who helped us install it told us that he thinks it's a limestone. Since he owns a granite company and is an expert tiler, we believe him. Whatever it is, it's awesome and has a buttery feel to it. We will grout it this weekend.


Standing back...here is a look at the master bath!


And here are the tiles that we plan to use for the backsplash! These really are a honed marble - it even says so on the box! They are rustic looking subway tiles. These tiles will eventually be around the tub too, but we're going to save that for a weekend project after we're in the house. I figure we'll be tiling pros at that point after 4 bathrooms, the laundry room, and mudroom!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great - feel like I am watching an HGTV show! Can't wait to see it in person in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete