Sunday, February 12, 2012

Seven

It was seven years ago today that I met you.

And while I wouldn't ever really want to relive our first date...that awkward blind date with your bright red shirt and forced conversation, I would happily relive every single moment by your side since.

After two babies, building a house, and every other adventure of building this life with you, I still feel lucky and grateful that it is you I share this crazy, beautiful life with. When I married you, I knew that you would be a supportive, creative, loving partner. After I saw you rock our first baby to sleep, I knew that you would be an amazing father. I see the way that our boys look at you, with love and trust and admiration in their big beautiful eyes, and I know that you are teaching them, through your words and your actions, how to be a good man. And in case I haven't thanked you already for that...thank you.

I know that our time for just the two of us has been on a bit of a hiatus and will continue to be until our boys get a little older - until they get too embarrassed to hold our hands and they choose their friends over us. I know our big Friday "date nights" now consist mostly of getting the kids to bed, getting the dishes put away, and watching Grey's Anatomy on the DVR in the living room. But this is only temporary. I have big plans for us...for traveling and building things and focusing on you and focusing on me, and focusing on you.and.me. I have big plans.

Until those you and me days arrive, I want you to know that, while it may not always seem this way, I love every single minute of our life together. Amazingly enough, I still love the scent of you at the end of the day when you're covered in sawdust and hard work. I thought after seven years, that would have worn off. I love the family we have created. I love the world that exists when I pull into our driveway and see my three boys wave at me from the kitchen window.  I love the air that greets me at the front door. Have you noticed that the air around our house is different than the air anywhere else? It is cleaner. It moves easier in and out of my lungs. It is filled with love. It is filled with us and the scent of home...and there is no other place in the world I would rather be than home with you. So please remember that when our conversations center around Brody's play dates and the consistency of Jameson's poops - when we're scrambling to get four different people to four different places before 8am - when dividing and conquering is the only way to get through the day.

Please remember that I love you so. Here's to 7 more...and 7 more...and 7 more...and 7 more...you get the point...















You are so loved...

No comments:

Post a Comment