Monday, November 28, 2011

BOY (noun): a noise with dirt on it

I laughed the first time I saw that definition of "boy." And now, with a house full of boys, I realize just how true it is.

Last night, as our third (yes third) Thanksgiving dinner settled in our bellies and we watched football, I lost track of the number of times and ways that I asked Brody to lower his voice. "Brody, can you turn down your volume a bit?", "Brody, please use a quieter voice.", "Brody, your brother is sleeping, please don't shout.", and finally "SSHHHHHHH!!!!!" They all work for .5 seconds until he "forgets" and starts loud talking again. Yes, my shy little Brody has turned into a loud talker! I mean we were all sitting within six feet of each other. There was no need to shout. Ryan looked at me laughing and simply said, "This is boys. Get used to it." And so it has hit me. I will always have a house full of boys.

And no, I am in no way ever thinking about adding a third to the mix to try for a girl. I am just beginning to realize what it means to have boys. I will most likely not be teaching my boys how to crochet or quilt. They will most likely never choose to watch a romantic comedy with me on a Sunday afternoon over watching a football game. And they will probably choose to go running with their Dad over going to yoga with me. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me, but Brody's fascination with Patriots football and Wes Welker leads me to believe that I shouldn't hold my breath.

So while I'm a little bit sad that my future will be short on precious, girly moments and I will never get to watch anything other than football on Sunday afternoons, there is no denying how precious my boys are in this very moment! I mean seriously, don't you just want to eat them?

No comments:

Post a Comment